UNESCO Chair on Environmental Education in Islamic Republic of Iran seeks to pursue the following objectives through research, educational and cultural approach:
- Enhancement of national and international status of environmental education through Communicating between academics, local and civil communities, decision-makers and researchers to create innovative ways of education and sharing information and knowledge regarding Environmental Education,
- Development and promotion of environmental culture
- Enhancement of the public participation in environment protection
- Promotion of environmental literacy in form awareness raising, change of attitude and environmental behaviors of citizens.
- Promotion of Islamic-Iranian approach in the field of environmental education
In October 2018, UNESCO Chair on Environmental Education in Islamic Republic of Iran held several meetings regarding running national online environmental education network with participation of different educational workgroups of the chair such as waste management, climate change, HSEE, carbon management, green business, participatory environmental protection, green management, religions and environmental education, women and environmental education, environmental education through toys and games, energy, environmental pollutions, water management, citizenship and environmental education, Startup and innovative ideas regarding environmental education and ecotourism. In these meetings determined all mentioned workgroups should:
- Identify various audiences, needs and expectations of learners, developing learning goals and objectives, identifying instructional strategies, creating educational contents, implementing and evaluating the impact of their training and educational activities.
- Collaboration with national and international institutions, specialized research and development organizations, NGOs and environmental researchers.
- Publication of scientific articles, books, newsletters and providing electronic content
- Presentation of educational and research projects based on demand and supply in various environmental topics.
- Holding lectures, seminars and conferences on environmental education.
- Providing encyclopedia in environmental education
- Establishment of exhibitions, festivals and environmental events related to the activities of national environmental education network.